At Kaplow Insurance Agency, we offer all the needed coverages for your performance and breeding horse needs. The explanations below are summaries of the coverages and are not the policy wording. We will provide sample policy wording upon request.
- Full Mortality provides coverage for death of animal resulting from an accident, sickness, injury, or disease, or if your horse has to be humanely destroyed, or if your animal is stolen.
- Emergency Colic Surgery Endorsement is offered free with many of our policies. Coverage up to $5,000 is provided with no deductibles.
- 12 Month Extension provides coverage extension in the event of a condition manifesting and reported during the policy year. If you renew coverage will extend for 12 months from the policy expiration date.
- Guaranteed Renewal Endorsement provides continued coverage through the horse’s age of 15. In the event of a health issue, coverage will continue with no mortality exclusions as long as the policy is renewed. This coverage would replace the 12 month extension period and would require additional premium to add this coverage.
- Major Medical Coverage is essentially a health insurance coverage for your animal. Coverage is for medical expenses or surgical expenses, as a result of an accident, sickness and or disease and are not considered routine or maintenance. We offer coverage limits from $7,500, $10,000 or $15,000. Coverage is always subject to a deductible that varies with the insurers and plans. Many insurers now apply a co-pay along with the deductible that increases your out of pocket expenses dramatically. We are one of the only companies offering medical plans with NO co-pays. Please inquire with the office or your agent about those plans.
- Surgical Coverage provides coverage in the event your horse suffers an accident, sickness, disease that requires life-saving surgery. This coverage is often added to Full Mortality policies for horses that are no longer eligible for major medical coverage to their older age.
- Loss of Use provides coverage in the event your horse becomes incapacitated due to a debilitating injury or disease that does not warrant euthanasia, but, the animal can no longer be used for it’s intended use. The coverage has to be applied for and is additional premium. Loss of use coverage does not payback 100% of the insured value of the animal. Please see the SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS for this coverage. Please inquire with the office as to the current terms and conditions of the coverage’s that are available.
- Stallion Accident, Sickness & Disease provides coverage in the event a breeding stallion is unable to breed mares or get mares in foal and the cause is attributed to an accident, sickness or disease.
- Prospective Foal Coverage provides coverage for unborn foals in utero and continues when the baby is foaled from 24 hours or up to 90 days on the ground. Coverage’s are subject vet exams and confirmation of a single viable fetus through ultrasounds and physical palpation’s.
- Overseas Transit Coverage provides coverage for horses travelling outside of the country while the horse is in flight to and from that country.
- Territorial Extension provides coverage for a horse outside the United States and Canada. It is required to add the territorial extension so that all your coverage’s apply in the country the horse is located.
- Aggregate Deductible policies are designed for owners/breeders who have more than 8 horses to insure. The mortality policy will have a onetime annual deductible that will need to be satisfied before a loss is paid. By assuming a deductible your mortality rates a reduced dramatically. Other endorsement such major medical are not subject to change. Please inquire about specific plan requirements.